Fitz Dixon Memorial Scholarship
Founded by Association of Pennsylvania State College and University Faculty (APSCUF), the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education, the PA State System Foundation and Dixon family members, this scholarship honors the memory of the late F. Eugene “Fitz” Dixon, Jr. Mr. Dixon was a highly respected civic leader, sportsman, and a founding member of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Board of Governors.
The purpose of this scholarship is to provide financial assistance to students that attend one of the 14 State System universities. Applicants for this scholarship must demonstrate academic excellence, voluntary service within the community at home and at their university, and financial need as determined by their FAFSA applications.
There are two $500 awards available for Fall 2017. This amount may vary in future years depending upon funds available from the endowment.
- Applicants must be enrolled at one of the 14 State System universities pursuing an undergraduate or a graduate degree.
- Undergraduate student applicants must have passed 45 credits at a State System university with at least a 3.0 GPA.
- Graduate student applicants must have passed at least nine (9) credits at a State System university with at least a 3.5 GPA.
- Official transcripts must accompany all applications.
- Applicants must show financial need based on standard need analysis from the FAFSA application.
- Complete the Fitz Dixon Memorial Scholarship Program Application.
- Submit two (2) written references: One (1) reference must be from a State System university faculty member, not related to the applicant.
- Submit evidence of community and university involvement using the form provided. Evidence must include, but is not limited to position responsibilities, hours worked, and quantification from an upper level supervisor.
- Include a typewritten essay of approximately 500 words (maximum 800) on the following topic: Volunteerism: The Cornerstone of Civic Responsibility.
- Submit application, references, essay, academic transcripts and university/community service verification form by May 19, 2017.
- Send a thank you note to the PA State System Foundation
- Attend the PA State System Foundation scholarship luncheon
The Fitz Dixon Memorial Scholarship Committee is comprised of one APSCUF appointee, one student member of the Board of Governors, one State System appointee, one member of the Dixon family and one representative from the PA State System Foundation.
This Committee will review, evaluate and select the winner(s) from all eligible applications received. In no case shall any member of the Committee take part in the consideration of an applicant if that applicant is part of the Committee member’s immediate or extended family or if a Committee member submits a reference letter on behalf of an applicant.
The scholarship winner(s) and his/her university will receive a letter from the Foundation notifying them of the scholarship award and the procedure for requesting payment. Unsuccessful applicants will also be notified.
All application packets must be postmarked no later than May 19, 2017.
For more information about the scholarship program, contact:
PA State System Foundation
Attn: Eileen Showers
2986 North 2nd Street
Harrisburg, PA 17110